Cloud computing has changed the way software companies do business. Today with the help of cloud computing companies can save a lot of their overhead costs in both software and hardware by buying the cloud services. In cloud software and hardware are offered as a service and the companies do not need to invest in having them physically in their office.
They can access their data from the cloud with something as simple as a web browser. This feature of cthe loud has increased the portability of data. Though popularly adopted as one of the best ways of computing, private clouds are beginning to fail.
So, why don’t they work? Why is it that we also have to look at other options? Are they not secure as they were thought to be?
The reasons identified are not all related to technical issues.
Let us have a look at the reasons as to why these fail:
1. Focusing on just saving costs by using the cloud: Most people focus only on the saving aspect to use a cloud. Because of this they fail to understand and take advantage of all aspects of cloud usage.
2. Failure to have a vision: When people do not completely understand the potential of the cloud they end up using its services when they can get the same job done from other sources too.
3. Using the architecture developed for reference: Some companies do not customize the services they require instead end up using the existing reference architecture which may cause their application to fail.
4. Accommodating procedures that are in sync with the changed infrastructure: Most companies follow through only till changing infrastructure when migrating to a cloud environment. They should also ensure that the processes are changed too so that they can use the cloud to its full potential.
5. Mistaking every virtual environment as a cloud: All virtual environments needn’t be considered as a cloud. The extra feature cloud has from being virtual is that it is expandable to the needs of the user.
6. Partial towards one type of the cloud: There exist different types of clouds namely public, private and hybrid. Hybrid cloud is the best way to go today. Relying on public or private clouds heavily may cause problems such as security for public clouds and vendor issues for private clouds.
7. Absence of skilled teams: When working with the cloud, teams who are deploying should be properly equipped with the skill set necessary for its operation. Not being able to find such teams may also be the reason why the cloud is failing.